Family files Class Action Seeking Refund of Fees Paid to Oklahoma Colleges and Universities.
On May 22, 2020, Christopher Knox, father of a student at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, filed a class action lawsuit against the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, which coordinates and manages the 25 colleges and universities that make up the Oklahoma State System for Higher Education. The lawsuit is asking the Court to order a refund of all unearned fees paid to these Universities by students and their families when they enrolled for the Spring 2020 semester. These campuses all shut down in March, eliminating the services for which these fees were paid. Mr. Knox is asking that the University of Oklahoma refund him and his son those fees as well as refund fees to all students that paid them at any one of the 25 colleges and universities managed by the Regents for Higher Education.
Mr. Knox is NOT requesting tuition refunds. While the colleges and universities should be commended for offering and delivering distance learning, thus allowing students to earn academic credits, as far as fees go – often as much as $4,100.00 per semester at some universities – a pro-rated portion of those fees should be refunded to the students and their families.
If you or your family paid fees to any one of the 25 member colleges and universities identified below, please contact us today at 918-492-4433.
(1) University of Oklahoma, Norman
(2) Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
(3) University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond
(4) East Central University, Ada
(5) Northeastern State University, Tahlequah
(6) Northwestern Oklahoma State University, Alva
(7) Southeastern Oklahoma State University, Durant
(8) Southwestern Oklahoma University, Weatherford
(9) Cameron University, Lawton
(10) Langston University, Langston
(11) Oklahoma Panhandle State University, Goodwill
(12) University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, Chickasha
(13) Carl Albert State College, Poteau
(14) Connors State College of Agriculture and Applied Science, Wilburton
(15) Eastern Oklahoma State College, Miami
(16) Redlands Community College, El Reno
(17) Murray State College, Tishomingo
(18) Northeastern Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College, Miami
(19) Northern Oklahoma College, Tonkawa
(20) Rose State College, Midwest City
(21) Rogers State University, Claremore
(22) Seminole State College, Seminole
(23) Oklahoma City Community College, Oklahoma City
(24) Tulsa Community College, Tulsa
(25) Western Oklahoma State College, Altus